Chelsea could use Romelu Lukaku as a way to try and sign Atletico Madrid’s Joao Felix on a permanent deal.
That’s according to journalist Dean Jones, who believes the Blues could use the out-of-favour Belgian to help ‘sweeten’ a potential deal to make Felix’s impending switch to Stamford Bridge permanent.
Felix, 23, is set to join the Blues on loan until the end of the season. Following a poor run of results, it is clear Graham Potter needs some attacking reinforcements, and after identifying Atletico Madrid’s Felix as an attainable target, the Londoners appeared to accelerate plans to bring him to England after they suffered a 4-0 FA Cup drubbing away to Manchester City last weekend.
Likely to have a sky-high valuation and with Atletico Madrid certain to want to recoup as much of the £127m they paid Benfica three years ago, should Chelsea wish to make the Portugal international a permanent fixture, it goes without saying that they will need to dig deep.
However, according to Jones, one player who could form part of an offer is on-loan striker Lukaku.
Currently back with former club Inter Milan, the Belgium international has already spoken publicly about his desire to stay with the Nerazzurri.
Discussing his situation with Sky Sport Italia earlier this month, Lukaku said: “Everyone knows what I want. Now I have to do everything necessary with the team for Inter to win and then we can talk to Chelsea.
“I want to stay here and do things right. I hope to do well with Inter in the next six months, work hard and then in the end we talk to Chelsea and hope to find a solution.”
Despite his preference to continue at the San Siro, Jones believes the prospect of seeing Lukaku and Felix trade places is a possibility.
- Transfer News: Done Deals, Fernandez undergoing Chelsea medical, Arsenal star to join PL side January 31, 2023
- Graham Potter must change Chelsea tune as defeatist attitude strikes wrong chord with fans January 14, 2023
- £71m Chelsea player is now at risk of being sold in the summer, Frank Leboeuf thinks he’s ‘shameful’ January 14, 2023
- Star To Undergo Medical Tests After £20M Bid Was Accepted, Mudryk To Arsenal Latest, Sarabia, Moura January 14, 2023
- No player has scored more goals in Europe’s top 5 Leagues than Victor Osimhen since October 16, 2022 January 14, 2023