Chelsea boss Frank Lampard has sent Ross Barkley a ‘well done’ message following his bright start on loan at Aston Villa, raising hopes that he has a future at Stamford Bridge.
The midfielder moved to Villa Park at the end of the transfer window on a season-long loan after Lampard refused to give the England international guarantees over playing time in west London.
Chelsea spent over £225m last summer, leaving Barkley to fear for his future at the club and asking to go out on a season-long loan.
The former Everton man has been in good form at Villa, scoring twice in five games for Dean Smith’s side.
Lampard failed to give Barkley assuarances over playing time (Picture: Getty)
Despite agreeing to send Barkley on loan, Lampard believes the midfielder could still have a long-term future at the club and sports Extral report that the Chelsea boss sent the England international a recent message to congratulate him on his form at Villa Park.
There is therefore a sense that Barkley could force his way back in at the club next season, should he continue to impress in Birmingham.
Lampard felt Barkley would benefit from regular first-team football at Villa, rather than another stop-start campaign at Stamford Bridge.
The decision to let him leave was not a reflection of Lampard’s faith in Barkley, with the Chelsea boss said to be ‘fascinated’ by elements of the midfielder’s play.
Chelsea face Newcastle at St James’ Park after the international break, with Lampard hoping Ben Chilwell will be fit after suffering from a back spasm while on duty with England.
- Mike Dean admits he got Marc Cucurella/ Cristian Romero VAR decision wrong during Chelsea vs Spurs August 18, 2022
- Chelsea hopeful of sealing Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang deal August 18, 2022
- Watch Apollon vs Olympiacos Live Streaming Match #APOLOLY August 18, 2022
- Watch Liverpool vs Crystal Palace Live Streaming Match #LIVCRY August 15, 2022
- Watch Chelsea vs Tottenham Live Streaming Match #CHETOT #PL August 14, 2022