Since their triumphant 2009-10 Champions League campaign under Jose Mourinho, Inter have only ever progressed from the group stage on two occasions, and have qualified for the competition just five times.
The Nerazzurri had previously endured a difficult period in the 2010s with new ownerships and a plethora of managers at the helm, though stability and progress has clearly been noticed in recent seasons and the club are now hoping to reach the heights that they did over 10 years ago.
After winning their first Scudetto in over a decade last season, Inter have begun their title defence with impressive 4-0 and 3-1 victories against Genoa and Hellas Verona respectively, before playing out an entertaining 2-2 draw away at Sampdoria last weekend.
Simone Inzaghi‘s side were in front on two occasions, with first-half strikes from Federico Dimarco and Lautaro Martinez, though the hosts pegged them back twice to ensure the spoils were shared at the Luigi Ferraris Stadium.
Inter now turn their attention to Europe’s elite club competition with an opening fixture against the team who will likely be their toughest opponent in the form of Real Madrid, a club they have actually beaten in four of their six competitive meetings on home soil.
Despite this impressive home record, the Nerazzurri have in fact lost four of their last five games against Los Blancos in a European competition, and will likely be in for a challenging evening on Wednesday.
Claiming points in midweek, however, would be highly beneficial for Inter’s quest to reach the knockout stages and for them to potentially qualify as group winners.
Seeking their 14th Champions League crown and their first since 2017-18, Real Madrid remain as one of the tournament’s favourites, though the competition around them has improved greatly and success this campaign could prove to be a challenge.
Under the tutelage of former boss Zinedine Zidane, Los Blancos finished top of their group last season – ahead of both Inter Milan and Shakhtar Donetsk – before beating Atalanta and Liverpool in the knockout stages. Real were ultimately sent packing by eventual champions Chelsea, losing 3-1 on aggregate in the semi-finals.
Los Blancos head into Wednesday’s opening group-stage clash on the back of a 5-2 La Liga victory against Celta Vigo, which was the first game played at the Santiago Bernabeu in over 18 months.
Around 25,000 supporters certainly got their value for money, as they saw talisman Karim Benzema score a hat-trick, while Vinicius Junior and summer signing Eduardo Camavinga were also on the scoresheet.
Real, who have now climbed to the La Liga summit with 10 points from their opening four matches, have an impressive record against Italian opposition, winning 12 of their last 13 matches in the Champions League, including their previous two against Inter last season.
Head coach Carlo Ancelotti, who won the Champions League with Los Blancos in 2013-14, has the greatest win percentage (76%) of any manager at a single club in the competition’s history who has managed at least 20 games.
The Italian will return to familiar territory on Wednesday night, with expectations from the board and supporters high, as they aim to kickstart their campaign with all three points.
Inter 2-2 Madrid
Inter 1-1 Madrid
Inter 1-1 Madrid
INTER 2-1 MADRID
|Giuseppe Meazza Stadium, Wednesday (15/9/2021) at 8:00 GMT|
Even and tight. That’s the general prediction for the Inter Milan vs Real Madrid match on matchday I of the Champions League . Both teams have big names, strong traditions, and good performances recently. As a result, the fight at the Stadio Giuseppe Meazza will be very exciting.
Both Inter and Madrid have good capital for this match. La Beneamata has only lost 1 time in the last 22 matches, while Los Blancos have only lost 1 in the last 28 matches. This season, both clubs have not been touched by defeat.
Judging from the encounter at the same phase in the Champions League last season, Madrid can actually be more optimistic. They have always won on 2 occasions against Inter. Los Blancos even always scored at least 2 goals even though they were not in good condition.
However, looking at other things, the possibility of the host partying is still high. One of the factors is the presence of Carlo Ancelotti in the stronghold of the guest. The veteran Italian coach has always lost in 6 visits to Inter’s headquarters. This factor could have ruined the draw predictions of many people.
- There has never been a goalless result in the previous 11 meetings between Inter Milan vs Real Madrid.
- Always created at least 2 goals in the last 10 editions of Inter vs Madrid meetings.
- Last season, Madrid won 2 meetings with Inter in the Champions League group stage.
- Madrid won the last visit to the Stadio Giuseppe Meazza. Previously, they always lost in 7 consecutive visits.
- La Beneamata have only lost 3 times in 22 occasions hosting representatives of Spain (10 wins, 9 draws).
- Los Blancos have 10 wins in their previous 36 trips to Italy (8 draws, 18 defeats).
- Inter have only lost 1 of their last 22 matches (17 wins, 4 draws).
- Inter have always scored at least 2 goals in the last 8 matches.
- At home, La Beneamata have always won in the last 10 matches.
- Lautaro Martinez has scored in his last 3 appearances for Inter.
- Madrid are unbeaten in their last 8 matches (6 wins, 2 draws).
- Los Blancos are also unbeaten in their last 5 away matches (4 wins, 1 draw).
- The Inter Milan vs Real Madrid duel on Matchday I of the Champions League will be Simone Inzaghi’s 3rd meeting with Carlo Ancelotti.
- In the previous 2 meetings, Ancelotti always brought his team to a 2-1 win over Inzaghi’s team.
- This is the first time Inzaghi has played against Madrid.
- Ancelotti vs La Beneamata record: 16 wins, 5 draws, 11 losses.
- Ancelotti won the last meeting with Inter. Previously, he always lost in 4 consecutive occasions.
- Ancelotti has not won the last 6 visits to Inter headquarters. His team always lost by 1 goal difference.
- Daniel Siebert from Germany is the person who was assigned to lead the match between Inter Milan vs Real Madrid on matchday I of the Champions League this time.
- This is the first time Siebert has refereed the Inter vs Madrid match.
- Siebert’s record this season: 3 home wins, 1 draw, 2 away wins.
- In the Champions League, none of the previous 4 matches led by Siebert ended in a draw and always resulted in at least 2 goals.
- Inter was once led by this referee, namely in the 2-1 win over Ludogorets Razgrad in the 2019-20 Europa League.
- This is the first time Los Blancos have played a match led by Siebert.
Top Scorer : –
Top Assist : –
Top Rating : –
Top Scorer : –
Top Assist : –
Top Rating : –
Statistics in the 2021-22 Champions League according to WhoScored
TEAM SECOND NEWS
- Inter: Stefano Sensi is injured so he can’t appear in this Inter vs Madrid match.
- Madrid: Ferland Mendy, Gareth Bale, Dani Ceballos, Marcelo and Toni Kroos injured, while Luka Jovic and David Alaba are not in top form.
- Watch Brighton vs Manchester City Live Streaming Match #BHAMCI October 23, 2021
- Watch Full Highlight Chelsea 7-0 Norwich As Mason Mount Score Hat-Trick In 7Goals Demolitions Match At The Bridge October 23, 2021
- Watch Leeds vs Wolves Live Streaming Match #LEEWOL October 23, 2021
- Watch Crystal Palace vs Newcastle Live Streaming Match #CRYNEW October 23, 2021
- Watch Everton vs Watford Live Streaming Match #EVEWAT October 23, 2021
Live Streaming24 hours ago
Watch Arsenal vs Aston Villa Live Streaming Match #PL #ARSAVL
Table and Results12 hours ago
Premier League Table After Arsenal’s 3-1 Victory Against Aston Villa
Sports News12 hours ago
Arsenal vs Aston Villa: 2 Things Ole Should Learn From Arteta’s Approach Against Aston Villa
Live Streaming7 hours ago
Watch Chelsea vs Norwich Live Streaming Match #CheNor #PL #EPL
Transfer News10 hours ago
Transfer News: Chelsea Ready To Offer €60m for Real Madrid Defender; Arsenal Interested In Simic
Live Streaming4 hours ago
Watch Everton vs Watford Live Streaming Match #EVEWAT
Live Streaming23 hours ago
Watch Saint-Etienne vs Angers Live Streaming Match #ASSESCO
Sportsextral10 hours ago
EPL Fixtures & Predictions Of Teams That Are Likely To Win Or Lose Saturday’s Matches